that there is a big bowl of creamless creamed corn with shiitake mushrooms.
it's reeeal good.
before i give you the recipe which isn't mine but this guy's:
i want to let you know that if you let it sit for about 15 minutes in the pan on very very low it gets even better.
this is what yukon cornelius has to say about corn:
"My granny taught me that when corn is very fresh, the juices are naturally creamy.
I took that as the gospel."
- 6 medium dried shiitake mushroom caps
- Boiling water
- 10 ears white corn, shucked
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, cover the shiitake with boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set a box grater in a large bowl. On the coarse side, grate 5 ears of the corn all the way to the cob. Using a serrated knife, cut the kernels from the remaining ears of corn. Using the dull side of the knife, scrape the juices from the cobs into the bowl.
- Drain and mince the shiitake. In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the shallots, garlic and shiitake and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to high and when the oil sizzles, add the corn and its juices. Cook, stirring, until the corn is thick and shiny, 3 minutes. Add the lemon zest and juice, season with salt and pepper and serve.
what you also need to know
is that when i made this i didn't use 10 ears of corn, i used 5.
i grated 2 of them and sliced off the other 3.
i used the same amounts of everything else though.
it fed the 3 of us with absolutely no leftovers.
which was kind of a bummer.
bc i would have taken a bath in it.
it rocked hard.
and it's just fucking corn!!!!!!!
but it's the end of summer and that's when corn is the most delicious.
so go eat this now or you will have to wait until next summer.